Wausau Window and Wall Systems
Search for Vice President, Sales & Marketing
Founded in 1956, Wausau Window and Wall Systems (“Wausau”) provides engineered aluminum window and curtainwall systems to the institutional and commercial markets. Its offerings include engineered-to-order products, which are sold into office, health care, education, entertainment, government, hotel and condominium markets, and a broad line of pre-engineered products which are sold into education, government and health care segments.
Wausau enjoys a preferred-product reputation, 10 to 15% market share in its target sectors and has nearly doubled in size in the last five years. Key customer relationships include architects, general contractors and installation contractors. The Company employs approximately 500 people and is located in Wausau, Wisconsin. 2017 revenues were approximately $125MM.
Wausau is a subsidiary of publicly-traded Apogee Enterprises, Inc. (APOG), a world leader in providing distinctive value-added glass products, services and systems. Apogee’s nine business units engineer, fabricate, install and repair the walls of glass and windows that enclose buildings and often provide energy efficiency, hurricane protection or blast protection. Apogee’s products provide solutions to the commercial construction and custom picture framing markets through these businesses: Alumicor, EFCO, Harmon, Linetec, Sotawall, Tru Vue, Tubelite, Viracon and Wausau. Publicly-traded Apogee (APOG) began as a single glass shop in 1949 and has grown into an industry leader, currently employing approximately 4,600 people worldwide with record revenues of over $1.3B in 2017.
Every aspect of Wausau is guided by its Core Values:
- Safe and enjoyable work environment
- Respect for the individual
- Honesty and integrity
- Continuous improvement
- Action orientation
- Pride of ownership
- Open communications
Reporting to the President, the Vice President of Sales and Marketing is responsible for the structure, deployment and on-going leadership of Wausau Window and Wall Systems’ sales and marketing functions.
This key member of the executive team is a confident, highly experienced sales and marketing professional who is forward thinking, can drive top-line growth, develop and champion sales and marketing initiatives internally and externally, be a strong developer of people and deliver superior results. S/he will create, develop and successfully implement long and short-range sales plans, develop relationships with contractors, architects, and related sales channels, and is responsible for delivering profitable growth and attaining and exceeding goals in all market segments within the sales division. S/he will work to define Wausau’s vision for growth, establish sales and marketing strategies, guidelines and parameters, and ensure that a world-class sales and marketing operation is executed and continuously improved, contributing to the business success of Wausau and all of its stakeholders.
President, Wausau Window and Wall Systems
Regional Sales Manager, Central (5 reports)
Regional Sales Manager, East (5 reports)
Regional Sales Manager, West (5 reports)
Vice President, Technical Services (4 reports)
Other Key Relationships:
Vice President, Engineering
Vice President, Finance
Vice President, Operations
Vice President, Human Resources
Apogee Executive Leadership
Apogee Business Units
This position requires the ability to travel frequently and as needed (approximately 25%).
- Develops and executes a sales plan and sales process that will help achieve organizational goals, and grow revenue and profitability.
- Communicates expectations to ensure effective implementation of plan, initiatives and job responsibilities for sales team and greater organization.
- Provides active engagement and leadership in new customer acquisition, maintaining relationships and negotiating sales.
- Provides and effectively communicates relevant, actionable, and accurate performance information and assessments to sales team to enhance performance.
- Reviews and analyzes sales performance against goals, metrics and budget to determine effectiveness.
- Builds, develops and manages the sales team with a performance-based approach to ensure sales goals are met or exceeded.
- Ensures effective relationships are developed between the sales organization and other company departments.
- Develops short- and long-range marketing plans aligned with overall business objectives.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with industry influencers and key strategic partners.
- Works closely with operations and R&D to effectively develop and introduce product changes in the marketplace.
- Maintains pricing integrity on a national level to drive market share and limit competitors’ market penetration.
- Plans and oversees industry and customer public relations plans and efforts.
- Gathers, analyzes and presents market and competitive intelligence. Monitors competitor products, sales and marketing activities.
- Oversees development of trade show strategies and schedules.
- Plan and implement advertising and promotional activities including print and online media.
- Builds, develops and manages the marketing team to ensure marketing initiatives and goals are met or exceeded.
- Participates as a key member of the executive team in total business planning – both strategic and tactical.
- Ensures that all aspects of sales and marketing plans are aligned with Wausau’s and Apogees strategic and operational plans.
- Develops and manages all sales and marketing budgets.
- Works closely with all departments to ensure superior customer service and to support overall company strategy.
- Provides leadership in the development of joint ventures, affiliations and partnership agreements.
- Facilitates adherence to and implementation of legal and company-specific regulations. (All operational activity will be governed by the Apogee Corporate Compliance Program, as well as Federal, State and Local Laws that are applicable.
- Facilitates implementation of key corporate initiatives including Operations Excellence/Lean and Diversity and Inclusion. Shares best practices across Apogee business units.
As a leader at Wausau Window and Wall Systems the Vice President of Sales and Marketing is expected to demonstrate the following leadership competencies:
Demonstrates highly developed subject matter knowledge and thought leadership in sales and marketing. Stays abreast of trends in the field and appropriately disseminates knowledge throughout the Organization.
Proactively anticipates future needs and creates a mechanism for overcoming hurdles, setting high standards for the Organization and holding others accountable. Ensures organizational strategies are translated into measurable objectives and actionable plans.
Develops and maintains high-performing teams and coaches leaders and team members to develop their own leadership capabilities. Ensures all leaders and team members challenge and support each other while respecting others’ unique roles and contributions.
Understands the market, identifies trends and drives the Organization to create comprehensive, competitive and breakthrough strategies. Prioritizes strategically, effectively deploying resources, time and people.
Creates an environment that supports collaboration by facilitating communication and coordination across all parts of the Organization. Builds an intentional and cohesive culture that aligns functional agendas and unites the team.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate will be a bright, strategic, experienced sales and marketing leader with a broad business perspective and the ability to understand and assess the impact of decisions to all parts of the business.
Key skills and experiences desired include:
- At least ten (10) years of experience in commercial leadership including a minimum of five (5) years of sales or sales & marketing leadership.
- Successful track record of responsibility for development of new business and for profitable growth.
- Proven ability to align sales and marketing goals to organizational goals.
- Success managing and strengthening customer and channel relationships.
- Demonstrated success in new market and new product identification and development.
- Track record of making sound decisions that are well-informed and data-based.
- Exceptional team builder and sales coach with outstanding people management, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to galvanize teams to improve customer focus, product and sales offerings, cross-functional collaboration, and sales processes.
- Ability to contribute to and build a positive sales culture that embraces customer focus, collaboration, and results.
- Demonstrated judgment and values that align with the Vision and Values of Apogee Enterprises, Inc.
- Experience in commercial window and curtain wall industry or a related field (construction, building products, custom manufacturing, engineering or related area) is preferred but not required.
- Strong academic credentials including a bachelor’s degree are required. An MBA is preferred.
- A strong work ethic and the highest ethical standards are assumed.