Red River Commodities
Search for Chief Financial Officer
Headquartered in Fargo, North Dakota, Red River Commodities (“RRC”) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Amsterdam Commodities N.V., a publicly traded entity based in Rotterdam, the Netherlands that sources, trades and distributes natural food products and ingredients to customers across the globe.
RRC was founded in 1973 as a specialty grain trading organization whose emphasis was on processing commodities for use in human and bird food. As the Company worked to develop a broad customer base, it expanded into confectionary sunflower processing. Using a focused, risk-managed approach to growth, RRC broadened its geographic footprint in the US within targeted specialty crop growing regions. Today, RRC is a $200MM global leader in the processing and sale of confectionary sunflower seeds and kernels as well as unique specialty grains and seeds for both human and animal consumption. Its product offerings come from four divisions of the Company, including Ingredient Processing, Bird Food, Roasting and Packing, and SunButter®, a fast-growing, innovative peanut butter alternative RRC introduced in 2003.
RRC employs more than 350 people across its Fargo corporate offices and production facilities in Fargo, ND; Horace, ND; Colby, KS; and Lubbock, TX. As part of the Company’s continued growth, RRC launched its Global Ingredients trading division in Manitoba (Canada) in 2016.
For more information, please visit RRC’s website: www.redriv.com.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will serve as a key member of the RRC executive board and will be an important strategic partner to the CEO and executive management team in this robust, growing organization. The CFO will be a highly analytical, results-oriented and visionary finance professional who will have overall responsibility for financial leadership of the Company.
The CFO will provide oversight and leadership to RRC’s Accounting/Finance, Human Resources and Information Technology functions, and will participate in all decisions involving strategic issues, setting corporate objectives and measuring performance against these objectives.
President & CEO, Red River Commodities
Human Resources Director
Other Key Relationships:
Allard Goldschmeding – Group Managing Director & CFO, Amsterdam Commodities/Acomo (Dotted line)
Executive Board, RRC
Fargo, North Dakota
- Serve as a partner to the CEO and proactive member of the executive board, influencing strategy and providing insight about relevant financial considerations for the business. Embed financial discipline into strategic planning process.
- In alignment with strategic objectives, develop annual operating plans with clearly defined financial targets that are attainable yet ambitious. Establish internal monitoring systems that are transparent, focus on continuous improvement and create accountability around achievement of goals and objectives.
- Provide the CEO and executive board with financial counsel and expertise regarding all aspects of finance, particularly as it relates to financial and strategic planning.
- Responsible for cash management, budgeting, cost management, operations analysis and financial reporting, as well as external financial and business affairs.
- Provide leadership for the Finance/Accounting, Legal, Tax, Treasury and Human Resources functions and processes.
- Direct RRC’s risk management strategies. Identify and monitor key business risks, and lead risk management activities through analytics. Determine the appropriate levels of insurance coverage.
- Ensure that record-keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies.
- Ensure internal and external financial reporting is timely, meaningful, and accurate and is communicated effectively to leadership. Lead preparation of the financial statements.
- Monitor and direct the implementation of business plans. Ensure planning and control cycles are on time, accurate, transparent and add value. Analyze and report planning and control cycle data outcomes to stakeholders.
- Provide financial analysis, due diligence and leadership, as required, in support of new ventures or other partnerships, business case development or future potential acquisitions.
- Oversee RRC’s Information Technology function, ensuring adequate support of current and future needs as well as integrity of information flow, and leading value-add analysis of data.
- Manage retirement benefit plans.
- Oversee all core financial systems including the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system. Ensure advancement of the ERP as a tool to synthesize data and drive operational efficiencies.
- Provide leadership to the tax planning and preparation for local and federal obligations, implementing tax strategies to minimize liabilities, and ensuring the necessary resources are in place to analyze, prepare and file returns in a timely and accurate manner.
- Effectively manage and develop the Accounting/Finance and Human Resources teams, and recruit and coach team members to meet short- and long-term business needs.
- Leverage external resources as needed to provide the necessary technical and functional expertise to support the business.
- Promote teamwork and collaboration across all RRC divisions as a trusted partner focused on helping the businesses achieve their growth and profitability targets.
- Embody RRC’s strong work ethic and foster alignment among staff.
As a leader at RRC the Chief Financial Officer is expected to demonstrate the following leadership competencies:
Understands the market, identifies trends and drives the organization to create comprehensive, competitive and breakthrough strategies. Prioritizes strategically, leading the organization to pursue and capitalize on the best opportunities.
Proactively anticipates future needs and creates a mechanism for overcoming hurdles, setting high standards for the organization and holding others accountable. Ensures organizational strategies are translated into measurable objectives and actionable plans.
Demonstrates highly developed subject matter knowledge and thought leadership in his/her domain. Stays abreast of trends in the field and appropriately disseminates knowledge throughout the organization.
Develops and maintains high-performing teams and coaches other leaders to develop their own leadership capabilities. Ensures all leaders and team members challenge and support each other while respecting others’ unique roles and contributions.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned finance leader with a minimum of ten years of progressive experience in a senior-level finance or accounting position with demonstrated leadership skills. S/he will have a broad finance background and proven record of strategic collaboration with executive leadership in a business of similar scale and complexity to RRC.
The ideal candidate will be highly analytical and should possess strong technical proficiency in all financial functions, including financial reporting, accounting operations, financial planning and analysis, tax and treasury. S/he will be a proactive business partner to executive leadership and possess a sound record of developing and implementing financial strategies that support the achievement of business objectives and continued growth. S/he will have experience leveraging analytics to influence business strategy.
A demonstrated ability to lead and develop a team is requisite. The ideal candidate will be collaborative by nature and possess highly developed interpersonal skills. S/he will have a record of success in coaching and mentoring others to meet organizational needs.
The ideal candidate will have a proven record in demonstrating confidence and conviction in her/his innovative point of view. S/he will be proactive in offering input and comfortable engaging in healthy debate about strategic issues. This individual will be creative and demonstrate a constructive, problem-solving mindset that is balanced with a conservative and prudent financial philosophy. Strong detail-orientation is key, and a commitment to continuous improvement will be highly valued.
A bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field is required, as is a CPA license. An MBA is preferred. The highest ethical standards are assumed.