M.A. Mortenson Company
Search for Director, Treasury
M.A. Mortenson Company (Mortenson) is a fast-growing, technologically savvy professional services organization that tackles some of the most complex real estate and construction opportunities in North America. Headquartered in Minneapolis, Mortenson employs approximately 5,500 construction, real estate and facility professionals, and craft workers. Its national network of offices includes Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Washington, DC, Chicago, Milwaukee, Portland and San Antonio.
The family-owned company had 2018 revenues of over $4.5B. Mortenson currently has a record backlog and strong pipeline of customers and projects that will result in significant growth. In addition to growing its traditional construction business, Mortenson is rapidly expanding its real estate development, program management, virtual design and construction and engineering capabilities.
Every facet of Mortenson’s business is guided by its purpose and mission: To build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and create an exceptional customer experience. The Company’s team members lead the way to new sources of power, create awe through amazing fan experiences, provide comfort to those in need and tackle complex challenges and provide innovative solutions with teamwork and pride. Tethered to the foundational values of Trust, Responsibility, Safety, Teamwork, Service and Stewardship, the Company’s newly launched Leadership principles (LeadBLU) encapsulate its unique and special culture: Do the Right Thing, We Before Me and Inspire What’s Possible.
For ten years running, the Company has been named one of the Best Places to Work in Minnesota. It is also the recipient of numerous awards for quality, safety and innovation. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a progressive company and is recognized as a leader in its industry and in the communities in which the Company operates. As part of a commitment to stewardship, five percent of pre-tax income is donated annually to provide assistance locally, nationally and internationally. For more information, visit Mortenson.com.
A newly created position, the Director, Treasury will provide leadership of Mortenson’s treasury functions, including oversight responsibility for cash management and short-term investments, capital structure transactions, along with funding and liquidity, banking relationships, investment oversight and administration/oversight of the Company’s foundation. S/he will ensure adherence to corporate policies and regulatory requirements, as well as efficient and effective support of operations through the development and implementation of integrated financial systems and processes.
Lois Martin, Chief Financial Officer
Other Key Relationships:
Mortenson Senior Leadership Team Members
Mortenson Investment Committee
Mortenson Management Investment Team
Mortenson Company Foundation Board
Mark Mortenson, Corporate Secretary and President of The Lansing Group
The Lansing Group (Mortenson Family Office)
Stephanie Anderson, Vice President & Chief Accounting Officer
Joe Barnett, Director of Financial Planning & Analysis
Cash Management/Short Term Investments
- Ensure Mortenson’s short and long-term funding needs are met, providing recommendations regarding appropriate capital structure and maintaining defined structure through the implementation of controls.
- Oversee the management of short-terms funds and establishment of favorable financing arrangements for short term borrowing, reviewing and helping to negotiate terms of financing.
- Oversee treasury and cash management operations, offering strategies and technology to maximize efficiencies, safeguard assets and minimize costs.
- Work with operating group leaders to develop strategies and tactics to improve the working capital of the company.
- Working with other finance & accounting leaders, develop proactive strategies and mechanisms to provide timely awareness and understanding of changes in working capital/cash flow patterns, along with resulting actions operating group leaders can take to course correct.
- Deepen relationships with Mortenson’s banking partners, and oversee activities to regularly evaluate Mortenson’s network of banks to ensure that the Company continues to have an effective and efficient support to meet its cashflow needs.
- With Treasury Operations, support the management of intermediate and long-term investments and liabilities in partnership with Lansing and other external managers.
- Provide investment oversight to Mortenson’s insurance captives and non-qualified benefit plans, ensuring adequate performance and thorough reporting. Direct activities related to the selection and oversight of investment advisors.
- Participate in monthly meetings of the Mortenson Management Investment Team and provide support to the Investment Committee of the Board.
Mortenson Company Foundation
- Partner with company leadership in the continued build-out of the Mortenson Company Foundation.
- On an ongoing basis, serve as Administrator of the Mortenson Company Foundation, with oversight responsibility for outsourced business functions and staffing the Foundation Board.
- Provide investment oversight of Foundation assets, ensuring adequate performance and thorough reporting. Manage and assess investment advisors.
- Serve as liaison between the Foundation’s Board and external advisors.
- Serve as champion for continuous improvement, encouraging innovation and leveraging technology to achieve best practices.
- Stay abreast of relevant best practices in finance, treasury and accounting and digital transformation broadly.
- Continuously evaluate Mortenson’s Treasury and financial operations, identifying opportunities for improvement and articulating business cases for change.
- Deploy change management tools and processes to ensure the broad adoption of new technologies and practices.
- Provide proactive support to Operating Group Leaders to develop timely cash forecasting and project-based cash flow, reporting and forecasting.
- Oversee and ensure the development of Treasury team, recruiting and coaching team members to meet and exceed performance expectations.
- Promote teamwork and collaboration throughout the Finance Team and across all Mortenson entities, serving as a trusted partner in supporting the achievement of corporate growth and profitability targets.
LeadBLU (Leader Excellence) Practices
The ideal candidate will demonstrate and continually develop the following LeadBLU practices:
Do the Right thing
- Demonstrate Character
- Communicate with Clarity
- Lean into Challenges
We Before Me
- Coach & Empower Others
- Create Meaningful Connections
- Care for Each Other
Inspire What’s Possible
- Ignite Curiosity & Learning
- Active Ideas & Insights
- Cultivate Diverse Thinking
Ideal Candidate Profile
The successful candidate will be a proven finance and treasury professional with a track record of progressive leadership experience managing a technology-enabled Treasury function. Strength in Financial Planning & Analysis is strongly preferred. While construction, real estate or related industry experience is not required, demonstrated success in complex financial environments and managing sizable investment portfolios is required.
The Director, Treasury will be strategic, process-oriented and a proven innovative thinker who exhibits a digital mindset. Previous experience leading transformational process re-engineering efforts and expertise leveraging treasury and cash management technology are required. Experience with technology and systems implementation is also required. Past successes in digital transformation, advanced data analytics and desktop robotics are strongly preferred. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative change agent, communicating a vision for the function and charting a clear path for the adoption of best practices in support of business objectives.
Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with a broad spectrum of audiences is required. The ideal candidate will have strong executive presence, effectively supporting executive leadership, board(s) of directors and investment committees. This person will have a proven ability to influence at all levels of the organization.
Past experience fostering relationships with external banking partners and investment managers is a must, as is the ability to collaborate across the organization. A track record of developing high performing teams through effective coaching, setting clear expectations and holding teammates accountable is required.
The ideal candidate will possess traits that are consistent with Mortenson’s foundational values of Trust, Teamwork, Safety, Service, Stewardship and Responsibility. An undergraduate degree is required; an advanced degree or CTP/CFA is preferred. The highest ethical standards are assumed.