M.A. Mortenson Company
Search for Director of Project Development – Sports + Entertainment
M. A. Mortenson Company (Mortenson) is a fast-growing, technologically savvy professional services organization that tackles some of the most complex real estate and construction opportunities in North America. Headquartered in Minneapolis, Mortenson employs approximately 5,500 construction, real estate and facility professionals, and craft workers. Its national network of offices includesDenver, Seattle, Phoenix, Washington, DC, Chicago, Milwaukee, Portland and San Antonio.
The family-owned company had 2018 revenues of approximately $4B. Mortenson currently has a record backlog and strong pipeline of customers and projects that will result in significant growth. In addition to growing its traditional construction business, Mortenson is rapidly expanding its real estate development, program management, virtual design and construction and engineering capabilities.
Every facet of Mortenson’s business is guided by these foundational elements:
- Mortenson Values
Dedicated to values of Trust, Responsibility, Safety, Teamwork, Service and Stewardship.
- Purpose Statement
Building structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society.
Create an exceptional customer experience.
The Company is frequently named one of the Best Places to Work and is the recipient of numerous awards for quality, safety and innovation. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a progressive company and is recognized as a leader in their industry and in the communities in which they live and work. As part of a commitment to stewardship, five percent of pre-tax income is donated annually to provide assistance locally, nationally and internationally.
Mortenson builds more than buildings. Their team members lead the way to create new sources of power, create awe through amazing fan experiences and provide comfort to those in need. With values at their core, Mortenson team members tackle complex challenges and provide innovative solutions with teamwork and pride.
The Sports + Entertainment Group
The Sports + Entertainment Group (“Sports Group”) is committed to identifying, developing and executing projects that reflect Mortenson’s purpose of building structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society on a national level. The Sports Group’s vision is to build projects that reflect our purpose and build our brand; recruit, develop, and mentor future leaders; exhibit innovation in everything they do; and be the best and most respected sports builder in America.
Some of Mortenson’s more notable sports projects include:
- Target Field (Minneapolis, MN)
- Pinnacle Bank Arena (Lincoln, NE)
- KFC Yum! Center (Louisville, KY)
- US Bank Stadium (Minneapolis, MN)
- Fiserv Forum (Milwaukee, WI)
- SunTrust Park (Atlanta, GA)
- Las Vegas Multi-purpose Stadium (Las Vegas, NV)
- Chase Center (San Francisco, CA)
The Director of Project Development will build the Group’s pipeline, bringing new business opportunities into the Company by being the champion of the Sports Group’s business development efforts. As a member of the Group’s core leadership team, this position leads positioning activities, guides its business development operations, builds and nurtures strategic relationships, and manages the business development, marketing and analytics teams.
Logan Gerken, General Manager – Sports + Entertainment Group
Project Development Manager
Sports Business Analyst
Other Key Relationships:
Derek Cunz, Senior Vice President
Sports + Entertainment Leadership Team
Regional Office Teams
Partnership, Business Development and Market Strategy
- Provide leadership for the growth of the Sports Group in customer markets as outlined in the business plan.
- Develop and build relationships and networks with key industry leaders, including sports franchises; colleges and universities; live entertainment, hospitality and corporate partners; government organizations; financial institutions; public agencies; and A&E firms.
- Foster collaborative relationships at the highest levels of customer organizations (President, COO, CFO, VP Strategy, Athletic Director, etc.) to help position Mortenson as the partner of choice for both large and small scale projects. Facilitate the introduction of relevant Mortenson experts to potential and current clients.
- Identify and evaluate potential partners in close cooperation with Sports Group and corporate leadership.
- Lead Sports Group market research, analytics and insight development strategy and team.
- Identify and apply appropriate filters to project opportunities, articulating Mortenson’s value proposition and proactively identifying risks.
- Develop the plan and strategy for winning projects.
- Position and promote the Mortenson team.
- Assist with proposal development and review.
- Develop presentation approach and coach and prepare team for presentations.
- Develop technical solution for project approach by coordinating preconstruction, construction, analytics, marketing and business development functions.
Sports + Entertainment Group Leadership
- Serve as a member of Sports Group’s leadership team.
- Participate in annual strategic business planning and resource allocation.
- Develop strategy and oversee public relations efforts to build Sports Group brand.
- Recruit, develop and retain a high performing team.
- Model teamwork and collaboration across Mortenson.
As a leader at Mortenson, the Director of Project Development is expected to demonstrate the following leadership competencies:
Has a sense of urgency to achieve or exceed objectives. Remains focused on what matters to project and team. Holds self accountable for getting things done. Seeks to understand expectations for performance.
Builds Lasting Customer Relationships
Builds and maintains strong working relationships with customers and key stakeholders, setting the tone for repeat business. Consistently looks for ways to better understand and solve customer problems. Takes prompt and deliberate customer-focused action to address mistakes or issues, escalating more complex customer problems.
Grows the Business
Demonstrates tenacity, determination and a strong “will to win.” Builds relationships to successfully accomplish work objectives. Supports the pursuit of opportunities that contribute to the team’s growth and success. Articulates the Mortenson value to relevant customer points of contact.
Maintains effective working relationships with peers and others inside the Company. Draws on support and resources of the manager and team to be successful. Creates cohesive team by emphasizing “we” not “I.” Considers when to follow and when to suggest an alternative approach. Solicits opinions, ideas and input from others.
Displays humility and takes opportunities to learn from others. Makes decisions and personal sacrifices for the good of others and the success of the Organization. Demonstrates self-awareness of own strengths, weaknesses and limitations. Accepts responsibility and acknowledges mistakes to others.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate will be a strategic business development/marketing leader and relationship builder with at least fifteen years of sports and entertainment industry-related experience. Prior successes representing complex project solutions, positioning his/her organization for selection preference and leveraging data analytics are critical.
Existing relationships with key players in one or more of the target markets (owners, A&E firms, subcontractors) are critical. Fluency in the sports and entertainment market, and knowledge of current trends related to the built environment and fan experience are a must.
The ideal candidate will be persuasive and collegial, and a relentless self-starter motivated by challenge and change. This person will have a history of executing strategies, goals and objectives to completion. S/he will also be resourceful, collaborative and professional with the ability to build strong cross-cultural relationships and influence at all organizational levels, especially at the most senior level.
The ideal candidate will possess traits that are consistent with Mortenson’s values of Trust, Teamwork, Safety, Service, Stewardship and Responsibility. An undergraduate or master’s degree in business, marketing, design, engineering, construction or related field is preferred. The highest ethical standards are assumed.