M.A. Mortenson Company
Search for Director, Sales Effectiveness & Customer Insights
M. A. Mortenson Company (Mortenson) is a fast-growing, technologically savvy professional services organization that tackles some of the most complex real estate and construction opportunities in North America. Headquartered in Minneapolis, Mortenson employs approximately 5,500 construction, real estate and facility professionals, and craft workers. Its national network of offices includesDenver, Seattle, Phoenix, Washington, DC, Chicago, Milwaukee, Portland and San Antonio.
The family-owned company had 2018 revenues of over $4B. Mortenson currently has a record backlog and strong pipeline of customers and projects that will result in significant growth. In addition to growing its traditional construction business, Mortenson is rapidly expanding its real estate development, program management, virtual design and construction and engineering capabilities.
Every facet of Mortenson’s business is guided by its purpose and mission: To build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and create an exceptional customer experience. The Company’s team members lead the way to new sources of power, create awe through amazing fan experiences, provide comfort to those in need and tackle complex challenges and provide innovative solutions with teamwork and pride. Tethered to the foundational values of Trust, Responsibility, Safety, Teamwork, Service and Stewardship, the Company’s newly launched Leadership principals (LeadBLU) encapsulate its unique and special culture: Do the Right Thing, We Before Me and Inspire What’s Possible.
The Company is frequently named one of the Best Places to Work and is the recipient of numerous awards for quality, safety and innovation. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a progressive company and is recognized as a leader in their industry and in the communities in which they live and work. As part of a commitment to stewardship, five percent of pre-tax income is donated annually to provide assistance locally, nationally and internationally.
As Mortenson looks to the future, the Company seeks to transform into an expert solution selling organization that integrates the Company’s diverse offerings, positions Mortenson as a true, trusted business partner to its customers and ultimately deepens its customer relationships. Since 2016, the Company has been proactively building its solution selling capabilities and has witnessed repeatedly the value that this approach is creating for Mortenson’s customers, whether by reducing cost, increasing revenues or elevating brand.
The Director, Sales Effectiveness & Customer Insights will supercharge Mortenson’s insight selling efforts to enable the Organization to sell a broader and more integrated suite of offerings, increase the volume of high margin projects and deepen Customer relationships. S/he will provide sales effectiveness leadership across Operating Groups, empowering operating leaders with new insight-led sales through insights and analytics, program development, coaching and consulting.
John Ohman, Senior Vice President, Strategy and Growth
Other Key Relationships:
Senior Leadership Team Members
Operating Group Leaders
Kara Wallace, Senior Director of Strategic Marketing
Minneapolis, Minnesota; up to 25-40% travel is expected
- Develop a deep understanding (and/or network with company resources that have that understanding) of how the built environment, real estate, capital and other trends effect customers’ businesses.
- In partnership with Operating Group teams, generate compelling customer insights that disrupt conventional thinking and approaches. Equip Mortenson’s seller/doers with relevant customer insights.
- Understand the competition, develop messaging around key differentiators, and inform the development of collateral and/or identification of target customers.
- Partner with sales/account management teams (phone calls, webinars, written correspondence, in-person meetings) to engage customers, diagnose customer needs and align research, insights and services to these needs.
- Serves as a thought leader, presenter and facilitator for business development conferences and market summits.
- Operate as the Sales Effectiveness strategist and execution owner for Mortenson, providing Sales Effectiveness thought leadership and acting as a trusted advisor to Operating Group leaders.
- Provide end-to-end effectiveness support for the regional leadership teams to achieve Sales objectives by facilitatingonsite discussions, pulling inthe right internal and external resources required to advance Mortenson’s ideas and serving as a partner to operating leaders to drive customer idea follow-up.
- Partner with Operating Group teams to develop offering knowledge and deliver customer impact moments that help deepen Mortenson’s relationships and position the Company to win new work.
- Provide content training and coaching for Operating Group teams.
- Contribute to the creation of internal/external sales collateral as needed.
- Monitor, measure and analyze the effectiveness of enablement initiatives.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate and continually develop the following LeadBLU practices:
Do the Right thing
- Demonstrate Character
- Communicate with Clarity
- Lean into Challenges
We Before Me
- Coach & Empower Others
- Create Meaningful Connections
- Care for Each Other
Inspire What’s Possible
- Ignite Curiosity & Learning
- Active Ideas & Insights
- Cultivate Diverse Thinking
Ideal Candidate Profile
The successful candidate will bring a demonstrated record of success in leading Sales enablement initiatives with a passion for execution and getting things done in a matrixed environment. S/he will be expert in solution selling, preferably utilizing Challenger Model methodology. Ten plus years of experience in consulting, direct sales, sales effectiveness or strategic marketing is required, including a minimum of five years in a complex B2B sales environment.
The ideal candidate will be a strong strategic thinker with proven change management, problem solving and hands-on analytical skills in the areas of problem identification, data collection, thorough analysis, solution development, action planning and execution. Her/his approach will be characterized by consistently taking a different view of the world; insatiable curiosity for understanding customers’ businesses and markets; a passion for debate and discourse; and the courage and willingness to respectfully push the customer to achieve a better result they may not have previously considered.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of formulating innovative approaches to build organizational sales capacity through leadership coaching, program development and effective sales strategy consulting, ensuring that teams receive the level of technical and functional knowledge they need to support the sales effort for complex solutions.
S/he will be a skilled coach who delivers real-time feedback and accountability as well as helpful linkages to other Mortenson team members and partners to expand networks and enhance development. S/he will also be a strong sales training advocate, with the ability to identify training resources needed and help build and deliver training curriculums.
Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with a broad spectrum of audiences is required. The ideal candidate will have strong executive presence including the ability to coach others effectively, set clear expectations and hold teammates accountable for meeting commitments.
The ideal candidate will possess traits that are consistent with Mortenson’s foundational values of Trust, Teamwork, Safety, Service, Stewardship and Responsibility. An undergraduate degree is required; an MBA is preferred. The highest ethical standards are assumed.