Kraus-Anderson Construction Company
Search for Vice President, Finance
Kraus-Anderson Construction Company (KACC) is the largest subsidiary of the Kraus-Anderson Companies (KAC) and is one of the most respected commercial construction companies in the United States. KACC is consistently ranked by Engineering News Record among the top 20 Construction Firms in the Midwest.
Founded in 1897, KACC has been owned and managed by the Englesma family for over 75 years. The Company’s managed volume exceeded $1B in 2018. The new headquarters are located in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota with regional offices in Minnesota (Bemidji, Circle Pines, Duluth and Rochester), North Dakota (Bismarck, Minot) and Wisconsin (Madison).
KACC is experienced in virtually every area of commercial construction. Their work ranges from minor tenant improvements and remodels to major new construction and expansions. Three projects were honored in Finance & Commerce Top Projects of 2017:
- HeathPartners Neuroscience Center, St. Paul, MN, 130,000 square foot, largest free-standing neuroscience center in the Midwest.
- Tria Orthopaedic Center, Woodbury, MN, 85,000 square foot, state of the art outpatient facility for sports medicine and orthopaedic services.
- Kraus-Anderson Headquarters, Minneapolis, MN, 100,000 square foot, new consolidated corporate headquarters.
KACC takes a collaborative approach with every commercial building project, working closely with all parties involved well in advance of ground breaking through completion. The Company is proud of the numerous awards and recognitions its project teams receive each year.
The Company’s core purpose is:
Building Strong Relationships and Strong Communities
Its core values are:
- Integrity– Do the right thing – always be respectful, honest and fair
- Commitment – Takeownership, work hard and keep promises
- Teamwork– Collaborate to foster trust and success for all
- Value People– Support each other in a safe, positive environment where people are recognized and appreciated for their contributions
The entire Kraus-Anderson Companies (construction, development, real estate, insurance, capital, foundation) upholds a proud tradition of “building buildings and building people.” Some of the past and current annual corporate giving activities include the Kraus-Anderson Duluth Bike Festival, the Kraus-Anderson Walleye Classic, and Hearts and Hammers. Kraus-Anderson is a member of the Minnesota Keystone Program, which distinguishes companies contributing a minimum two percent of pretax earnings to address community needs. Kraus-Anderson has given in excess of five percent for the past five years.
Kraus-Anderson fosters an environment of continuous personal and professional growth. KAU, Kraus-Anderson University, provides employees, clients, architects and others with educational opportunities in both leadership and technical domains.
For more information about KACC and KAC, please visit: www.krausanderson.com.
The Vice President, Finance will have primary day-to-day responsibilities for planning, implementing, managing and controlling the financial related activities of KACC. This will include direct responsibility for accounting, forecasting, budgeting, strategic planning, third party relationships, compliance functions and assisting with the business strategies of KACC. The role serves as a strategic financial business partner to the senior executive operational leadership team.
President/Chief Operating Officer, KACC
(Total team of 25)
Other Key Relationships:
KACC Executive Leadership Team
KAC Executive Leadership Team
- Participates and provides proactive leadership in the development of Kraus-Anderson’s operations, strategic plans and programs while having direct interaction with all levels of management of the Company.
- Evaluates and advises executive management on the financial impact of both short- and long-range plans, strategies and potential opportunities and risks.
- Develops credibility for the finance group by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends in order to assist the President and the Board and other senior executives in performing their responsibilities.
- Develops and/or enhances, implements and enforces policies and procedures of the Organization through financial systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the Corporation.
- Advises from the financial perspective on any contracts into which KACC may enter.
- Oversees, directs and organizes the work of the Accounting and Payroll teams to ensure company objectives are being met.
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Manages direct reports’ performance and establishes Accounting and Payroll teams’ development goals, assigns accountabilities, sets objectives and establishes priorities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
As a leader at KACC the Vice President, Finance is expected to demonstrate the following leadership competencies:
Strategic Acumen: Understands the market, identifies trends and drives the organization to create comprehensive, competitive and breakthrough strategies. Prioritizes strategically, leading the organization to pursue and capitalize on the best opportunities.
Functional Expertise: Demonstrates highly developed subject matter knowledge and thought leadership in his/her domain. Stays abreast of trends in the field and appropriately disseminates knowledge throughout the organization.
Sound Decision-Making: Possesses strong intellectual curiosity and the ability to analytically, conceptually and critically evaluate information to determine relative strengths and weaknesses of ideas and proposals. Comfortable managing ambiguity and balancing action with the appropriate level of risk.
Builds Talent: Develops and maintains high-performing teams and coaches other leaders to develop their own leadership capabilities. Ensures all leaders and team members challenge and support each other while respecting others’ unique roles and contributions.
Fosters Collaboration: Creates an environment that supports collaboration by facilitating communication and coordination across all parts of the organization. Builds an intentional and cohesive culture that aligns functional agendas and unites the team.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate will be a bright, energetic finance professional with a minimum of ten years of progressive leadership assignments within finance or accounting. S/he will bring diverse experience within both large and small companies, ideally including a background in commercial construction.
The successful candidate will be a confident strategic business partner, with deep knowledge of financial planning & analysis (FP&A), accounting, budgeting, cost control principles and GAAP. S/he will be able to affect change and improvement through strong strategic acumen, high intellect and superior problem-solving capabilities. This individual must be an effective collaborator, adept at building, developing and maintaining keyrelationships with leaders inside and outside the Company. The ideal candidate will be a trusted business partner who can be relied upon to provide thoughtful and forward-looking information, assistance and support across the Organization.
The candidate will have proven team leadership capability, with experience developing both long-tenured and new employees. S/he will have an authentic, approachable management style, with an ability to quickly establish credibility and trust. As a leader, s/he shouldrecognize and reward people for their achievements, provide honest and constructive feedback to direct reports and cross-functional partners, and promptly address performance and morale issues. The candidate must possess and maintain an exceptional work ethic, as well as uphold company values. The ideal candidate will set a high bar for her/his own performance and be energized by elevating the team.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers. S/he must be comfortable working under pressure to meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
The candidate should be technically savvy, with demonstrated computer proficiency and knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems. Familiarity with Viewpoint software is preferred.
A bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or a related field is required. A CPA is desirable.
The highest ethical standards are expected.