Search for Chief Executive Officer
Headquartered in Chanhassen, Minnesota, private equity-owned Indigo Signworks (“Indigo”) is a leader in value-add custom signage and services, offering design, sales, project management, project-based manufacturing, installation and service to customers across the Upper Midwest. Its state-of-the-art manufacturing plant, dedicated team of craftsmen and large install fleet enable Indigo to provide a differentiated level of service to customers across the Upper Midwest. With revenues of more than $20MM and 142 employees, Indigo boasts the largest staff of any sign company in the region. Its products are fabricated in Fargo and Minot, North Dakota and Minneapolis, Minnesota, while its sales, installation and maintenance crews cover North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota and Eastern Montana.
Indigo’s unmatched size and capabilities appeal to local, regional and global companies who seek to develop, build and enhance brand equity. The Company’s impressive customer base includes local and regional banks, hotels, casinos, grocers, restaurants, convenience stores/fuel stations as well as many small businesses who seek a one-stop, turn-key solution for their brand identity needs.
Indigo was founded by regional investors in 1997, who grew the Company through a “buy and build” strategy. In 2016, Marquette Capital Partners, Merion Investment Partners and Akoya Capital acquired Indigo Signworks with the intent of further expanding the Company’s regional footprint to meet growing client needs. In 2018, the Company acquired Chanhassen, Minnesota-based Sign Source, which brings it to seven locations.
In the highly fragmented sign industry, Indigo is poised for continued growth. The Company intends to continue acquiring local and regional companies and integrate them into its proven operating model. Indigo is well-capitalized to pursue these additional add-on acquisitions, and build upon its strong capabilities and reputation. The Company now seeks a visionary Chief Executive Officer to inspire and unite its team, build engagement, strengthen culture, optimize operations and lead Indigo’s continued growth.
For more information about Indigo Signworks, please visit its website.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will have overall management responsibility for all aspects of the Business, including profit and loss accountability, and organizational management and development. The CEO will champion the Company’s vision, represent the Company with all outside constituencies, drive the execution of the strategic growth plan and lead Indigo through its next stage of growth, further enhancing the Company’s recognized leadership position in the industry.
Board of Directors
Vice President of Sales and Marketing
General Manager, Minnesota
General Manager, North Dakota
General Manager, Twin Cities
Administrative Manager/Human Resources (currently open)
- Develop and execute a strategic growth plan to expand the Company’s reach by leveraging market opportunities, operational capabilities and industry trends.
- Establish and maintain strong market awareness, with a thorough understanding of the competitive landscape, customer profiles, standards and practices, existing markets, growth opportunities, trends in innovation, market disrupters and changing workforce needs.
- In partnership with the private equity investors, inform and develop the acquisition strategy and lead integration efforts.
- Provide visionary leadership for new ideas and approaches and engage outside counsel as appropriate to pursue them.
Financial & Operational Leadership
- Responsible for establishing and reaching revenue, EBITDA and cash flow goals, stewarding the Company’s P&L and balance sheet.
- Enable the team to deliver on financial goals and objectives through day-to-day leadership and management of the Company.
- Ensure that financial performance is reported timely and accurately to the Board of Directors, demonstrating rigor, accountability and a high level of analysis, with a clear goal of providing quantifiable results and increasing shareholder value.
- Continuously improve systems, processes and procedures to ensure they support growth initiatives and achieve optimal efficiency.
Business Development Leadership
- In partnership with VP of Sales, develop and execute an effective marketing strategy to support business objectives, growth goals and market distinction.
- Enhance sales capability with specific expertise in signage solutions.
- Maintain the highest level of customer satisfaction by regularly interacting with customers and quickly resolving problems or concerns.
- Establish Indigo as a highly visible industry presence. Represent and promote Indigo at trade events, key community and regional engagements, and other business development opportunities.
- Identify and drive sales and marketing best practices across the Organization, including key account and opportunity management capabilities.
- Develop trust and maintain a positive, accessible leadership presence throughout all parts of the Organization in order to effectively communicate, collaborate with and inspire others to achieve results.
- Hire, develop and retain high-performing leaders. Build and support strong management capabilities at all levels.
- Foster a collaborative culture that supports career growth, enhances employee engagement and delivers results while encouraging innovation and creativity.
- Demonstrate a balanced approach to achieving financial goals while executing the best practices in people and organization management.
As a leader at Indigo the Chief Executive Officer is expected to demonstrate the following leadership competencies:
Develops a clear, focused and inspiring vision for the future. Models excellence and galvanizes others to embrace the vision and strategy, and helps them see their role in the organization’s success.
Teamwork and Collaboration:
Creates an environment that supports collaboration by facilitating communication and coordination across all parts of the organization. Builds an intentional and cohesive culture that aligns functional agendas and unites the team. Develops and maintains high-performing teams and coaches other leaders to develop their own leadership capabilities.
Seeks an integrated understanding of current and evolving customer needs and guides the company to support the interests and success of customers accordingly. Continuously monitors customer experience and establishes systems to incorporate feedback and anticipate opportunities to deepen relationships.
Ensures organizational strategies are translated into measurable objectives and actionable plans. Proactively anticipates future needs and creates mechanisms for overcoming hurdles, adapting and adjusting near term plans as needed. Sets high standards for the organization and holds others accountable.
Possesses a high level of self-awareness, empathy and social awareness. Effectively manages personal emotions and behaviors to foster productive relationships and influence others.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate will be a positive, highly-engaged leader with at least fifteen years of relevant experience in roles with progressive management responsibilities and scope. This should include P&L management in a privately held, mid-sized company or similar-sized division of a larger entity. Prior experience running a private equity backed company is highly desirable. S/he will have a general knowledge base of manufacturing processes and costing within a manufacturing environment. Experience with manufacturing and installing customized products is a plus.
The ideal candidate will be a visionary team leader who has driven profitable growth by effectively capitalizing on market opportunities, organic and inorganic. A track record of successful acquisition integration – including the proven ability to thoughtfully manage change while retaining top talent and strengthening culture – is essential.
The ideal candidate will embody the Company’s outlined Leadership Competencies and has the ability to inspire, motivate and mentor teams and individuals. This person will have a highly visible, “walk the shop floor” style and demonstrate high integrity, transparent communication skills and the ability to build trust. The candidate should demonstrate the ability to present information in a clear, concise and effective way across all levels of the Organization. The proven skill of building strong rapport with internal and external stakeholders, including investors, is key. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience as an effective liaison between the board and Company leadership.
This person will have strong problem solving and decision-making skills combined with the ability to exercise sound judgment by seeking input, actively listening, gathering facts, analyzing data and clearly assessing cost/benefit factors. This person will also have a proven ability to optimize efficiency and effectively service and maintain a loyal customer base. A strong results-orientation, a bias for action and a focus on execution are critical.
A bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing or related field is required. An MBA is preferred. The highest ethical standards are expected.